Subject: Printcap problem #1 solved. Next, garbage chars.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/1997 14:59:44
	OK... I solved the first printcap problem with some help from
you all out there.  It turns out that parameters like 'mx' in the
printcap are set like this: 'mx#0' --- not 'mx=0' ... it might be nice
to mention at least a little of the termcap syntax in the printcap
page.  All the examples that I had in front of me only set parameters
with = (since they were strings).

	Anyways... now... I've got a deskjet 850 (HP-PCL3) printer
hooked up, and I'm relatively pleased with it's performance.  I
managed to find a printer filter for it... and the text filter works
marvelously save some page length problems (that I can probably
solve).

	However, I have one printer set up as 'raw' ... a printer with
no filter.  I also use the '-l' argument when I use this printer.  Now
this does print the document properly, but it spits out one page
before and one page after the print.  Furthermore, the first page has
the letters 'h b  t h b' spaced out across it.  Where do these letters
come from?

	That all said, it would be cool if some common printer drivers
were collected and included with NetBSD (HP-PCL, PostScript, Cannon,
maybe?)... It was rather hard to find the filters that I have found.

	I was also thinking that it might be appropriate to add a
couple of document types to the BSD printer capabilities ---
PostScript, maybe, or a couple of fairly user-defined types that could
be applied to common local documents.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |