Subject: Re: Realaudio 3.0 and emulation
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1997 10:19:27
Quoting Berndt Josef Wulf,

> Ok... I tried with the FreeBSD version of raplayer and this what am
> getting:

> 25677 raplayer NAMI  "/emul/freebsd"
> 25677 raplayer NAMI  "/emul/freebsd/dev/dsp"
> 25677 raplayer RET   open 5
> 25677 raplayer CALL  ioctl(0x5,_IOWR('P',0xa,0x4),0xf7bfd360)
> 25677 raplayer RET   ioctl -1 errno 22 Invalid argument
> 25677 raplayer CALL  close(0x5)
> 25677 raplayer RET   close 0

> our audio device is not compatible with dsp.

> In any case I found NetBSD less suitable for building applications
> using the sound devices. I tried NAS, Real Audio etc. to no avail.
> These applications run on most platforms FreeBSD, Linux, Irix, hpux,
> solaris etc. pp. but not NetBSD :(

This should probably be in the FAQ or compat_xxx manpages, as it has come
up before: anything more than simple audio emulation will very probably
not work for Linux/FreeBSD binaries, since they're using a different
interface for their audio stuff.

The NetBSD audio system needs work.. (any takers?)

- Frank