Subject: Re: Installing from DOS partition
To: Jose Alburquerque <jose@alexandria.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/1997 18:55:23
Jose Alburquerque writes:
> Hi.  I'm trying to install NetBSD on my Pentium.

BTW, you should specify which version!

> I've managed to download
> all the binary sets necessary, the floppy images, and utilities.  I've
> also been able to partition my hardrive to make room for NetBSD.  The only
> problem I have is that I don't have two floppy drives.

You don't need two drives to install, so why is this a problem?

> Another question not related to the first ist that under DOS (using fdisk
> and pfdisk) my disk geometry is:
>    263 255 63 (Cyls, heads, Sectors)
>
> But the NetBSD install kernel reports:
>    673 5 126 (Cyls, heads, Sectors)
>
> Which one should I use?

I don't really understand the issues well but I distinctly remember
Thor added detail on this to the 1.1 or 1.2 release notes. My memory
is that if you are dual booting you want the DOS geometry, but don't
believe me without confirmation...

Perry