Subject: Re: libm and i387-specific routines
To: None <daw@panix.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/1997 00:26:53
>Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:06:20 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Nathaniel D. Daw" <daw@panix.com>

>I just built the world from a weekold current sup and ran into problems in
>libm. Although I uncommented the proper section of the Makefile (and,
>btw, I vote that someone check than damn thing in with that comment taken
>out, who doesn't have a 387 these days, and how many people suffer
>reduced performance for not having known to change it?), libm built

AFAIK, the problem isn't that i386s will run code using the full range
of FPU instructions slowly, but that they won't run it at all.  The
reason is that the FPU emulator is lacking.

>entirely from the common c sources; the arch/i387/*.S stuff was never
>touched. I tried updating /usr/share/mk/ and the make binary, to no avail.
>Anyone know what's going on here? The Makefile appears to be in order, I'm
>not sure I understand the make debug output but it looks like it finds the
>.S files and still for some reason thinks the .o files depend on the .c
>files. grrrrr.

I was bit by this once; the problem is an outdated .depend file.
'make cleandir' or 'rm .depend' should fix it for you.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>