Subject: Re: cyclade devices
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/1997 11:28:37
On Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:13:49 +1030 (CST)
 Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au> wrote:

 > what are the device names and numbers for the cyclades card. I have
 > compiled a kernel with cyclades support and the card is detected. Now
 > I need some devices of course ;)

Looks like the i386 MAKEDEV simply doesn't create the cy tty devices.

The cy driver lives at cdev major #38... So, perhaps adding a "cy"
MAKEDEV target would be appropriate :-)

I'm not sure what the best way to approach the MAKEDEV is... since
some cy boards have more ports than others... You'll have to play
different minor number tricks...

Because of the "different port count" thing, the cy driver should
probably be changed to attach a "cy controller" and "cy tty" devices
as logical children of the controller... then, you'd have one minor
per port, not N minors per board, which select the port.  The config
file grammar might look like this:

cy*	at pci? dev ? function ?
cytty*	at cy? slave ?

Any takers?  :-)