Subject: Re: those 8086 ISA DMA hacks vs. -current
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/1996 12:46:53
On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:22:25 -0500 (EST)
 "John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com> wrote:

 > 	#ifdef NEWCONFIG
 > 		at_dma( ...
 > 	#else
 > 		isa_dmastart( ...
 > 	#endif
 >
 > or roughly that; I couldn't find any definition of at_dma or
 > NEWCONFIG, nor could I find a discussion of this change in the mailing
 > list archives.  Does anyone know what this is about?

None of the stuff in "NEWCONFIG" in the i386 port is used.  That should
all probably be garbage-collected.

 > And does anyone know if the machine-independant DMA mapping scheme is
 > on the horizon yet?  (Some of the recent changes to bus macros seemed
 > like they might be part of such a project...)

I was hoping to have some time to work on it in December, but the month
was much busier than I expected it to be.  I have a deadline for a
paper I need to meet in mid-January, and I'm on a holiday "vacation"
at the moment (most of my time is spent working on said paper).  I have
to edit the design document again, and send out the final revision.  I'll
try and do that this week...

(Yes, some of the recent bus.h changes were in preparation for the bus
dma stuff...)