Subject: Re: ie0 and wd0 conflicts...
To: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@ic.sunysb.edu>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/23/1996 10:39:40
Carl S Shapiro wrote:
> I just tried in install NetBSD-1.2 on my friend's PC...
>
> There seems to be some strange problem booting the machine with the stock
> boot floppies if there is a 3COM 3C507 and an IDE disk present.  With this
> configuration the boot *always* hangs at "biomask XXX ttymask XXX netmask XXX".
>
> If the 3COM card is not present, then the boot will proceed normally.  A
> custom kernel with the uneccesary drivers stripped out will also do the
> trick.
>
> I have managed to replicate this problem on some old 486SX25's I have, as
> well as an old 386DX40.  When I do not configure the wd driver, and use
> a SCSI host adapter and disk in the machine, things work just fine.
>
> Are there any known problems between the ie device and the wd device?

I suffer from problems with a 3COM 3C507. The default IRQ in GENERIC for
ie0 is 7 and _my_ hardware doesn't like this at all. I always run with
ie0 at IRQ 5. With that setting, I find that the kernel hangs in the
way you describe (it gets to bdevsw[0] in swapconf() and hangs) unless
I remove other config entries that don't match the (awful) hardware
that I have. I had assumed that it was just my hardware. Maybe there's
actually a problem worth fixing [as opposed to throwing the motherboard
out the window - which would be my first preference 8-)]

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org           119 Cecil Street