Subject: Re: linux emulation problem
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/1996 01:06:55
Jason Thorpe writes:
> NetBSD _could_ look for the call to sys_personality()... however, there
> are a few problems with this:
>
> 	(a) We just have to hope that the system call number for
> 	    Linux's sys_personality() doesn't conflict with a syscall
> 	    that might be used by some other ELF ABI.
>
> 	(b) We'd need to include the Linux glue in every other
> 	    ELF ABI we support.

Well, not quite -- we'd need to support sys_personality() if linux
emulation was in.

> 	(c) We'd need to re-work our emulation code somewhat to
> 	    allow us to change the emulation structure of a process
> 	    "hot".

None of this sounds unworkable, and it would alleviate the current
pain a bit. Of course, if NetBSD went to ELF, we'd be stuck again.

BTW, if NetBSD does go for ELF, maybe we should go for a modified ELF
with a different magic number and OS identifiers?

Perry