Subject: Re: looking for MB and SCSI hardware, recommendations
To: Josef Burger <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/1996 22:03:29
In some mail I received from Josef Burger, sie wrote

> I'm looking for some hardware.   Are there any recommendations about
> the hardware itself, or for places to get either item?
>
> 1) I'm looking to put together a mid-performance machine; this
> asus board seems really nice, and has scsi onboard, although
> it is NCR :-(

I currently know of two Pentium motherboards with on-board 2940UW:

Gigabyte 586DX Dual CPU
Tekram (model # ?)

The Gigabyte board, as it says, has two CPU sockets, which would be ideal
for a mean server running NetBSD >:) with the 2940UW onboard (both 50 and
68pin sockets there too).  Under other Unixes for Intel, you can use both
CPUs.  Oh, 256k cache is standard with 4 SIMM slots.

The Tekram mb also has a creative audio chipset built in, as well as the
Adaptec 2940UW.  Only has a single CPU socket.  Comes with a 512k cache
and (if I recall right), 2 DIMM slots as well as 4 SIMM slots.

I've no idea if the 2nd MB is supported by (m)any Unixes or how well (of even
if!) the sound chips will work under them.

Darren