Subject: locks at "changing root device"
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, andreas@planix.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1996 14:33:28
Hi,
Our news server's hard drive recently crashed, so I replaced it with an
identical model (ST31200N), using the exact same disklabel.  I reinstalled
NetBSD 1.2 on the new drive using the INSTALLADP kernel (although I did
compile a couple of my own with the same results).  It boots up fine to
the point where it says "changing root device to sd0a", and then stops.

It boots up fine from floppy, and I can access the drives perfectly,
without any errors.  I've tried chaning SCSI cards (tried both a Adaptec
2940 and a 1542), with identical results.

I was told that if the Disklabel's geometry doesn't agree with the BIOS,
it might do that.  The disklabel agrees with what autoconf sees.  I also
tried 16 heads, 64 sectors, with the same result.  Keep in mind that an
identical model worked (until it crashed) with the same disklabel and scsi
controller.

I'm beginning to suspect the drive.  Unfortunantly, I don't have another
SCSI drive to check it with.  I did try an IDE drive however, and the CMOS
wouldn't see the drive, but another computer saw/used the IDE drive no
problem - I expect this is an unrelated problem though...

I've removed any unnecsary cards from the system (network etc..), and
continuously get the problem.  Is there anything I can do to try and find
the problem?  Is it likely to be a problem with the drive itself?  I
understand that at the "changing root device" point, it switches from BIOS
disk access to direct disk access.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, the only thing I have left to
try is another SCSI drive - and I'd rather not buy a new one unless I'm
sure thats the problem...

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www..iaw.on.ca/