Subject: Re: xmcd with ATAPI?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1996 09:48:17
In message <199612141631.IAA22432@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>,
	Jason Thorpe writes:
>On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 13:40:38 +0200 (EET)
> Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use xmcd (a Motif CD player software) with NetBSD 1.2 and
> > ATAPI CD-ROM drives?
> >
> > I built xmcd with lesstif 0.75 and it seems to work - but it can't talk to
> > my ATAPI drive.  The simple cdplayer software I got from the ATAPI driver's
> > author works fine (so the drive is OK).
> >
> > xmcd looks to nice.. I want to get it going.. :-)  Any ideas or experiences
>?
>
>The last time I looked, xmcd used SCSI command passthrough directly.  One
>of two things needs to happen:
>
>	(1) xmcd needs to be taught to use the CDIO* ioctl suite, or

It already does, just hack the "FreeBSD ioctl interface" to compile under
NetBSD.  i.e., add it to the ifdefs, and then configure xmcd to use that
instead of raw SCSI.

Works under OpenBSD, at least, but I've fixed bugs in the CDIO* ioctls
that I don't think NetBSD has.  Don't know if xmcd uses those particular
ioctls, your mileage may vary.

It's arguable that the raw SCSI interface in xmcd is bogus, since raw SCSI
is so insecure.

>	(2) the ATAPI code needs to become a `scsibus' attached to
>	    an IDE controller (which is how BSD/OS does it).

This is a gruesome hack in BSD/OS, too, and I've never seen it work nearly
as well as they'd like to pretend it does.

--
Jason Downs		   (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--