Subject: Re: New SMC 10/100 card.
To: None <neil@easynet.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/10/1996 15:58:15
   Sigh, I hate people who change things :-)

   SMC have changed their brillian 10/100 card, NetBSD probes it but
   you can't actually ping anything, BSDI does the same. I'd assume
   FreeBSD and OpenBSD will also do the same.

   Anyone know how different these cards are?

   This is how it probes:

   Dec 10 18:29:23 NetBSD /netbsd: de1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: DC21140 [10-100Mb
   /s] pass 2.0
   Dec 10 18:29:23 NetBSD /netbsd: de1: Ethernet address 00:00:c0:a8:e7:e9
   Dec 10 18:29:23 NetBSD /netbsd: de1: enabling 100baseTX UTP port
   Dec 10 18:29:23 NetBSD /netbsd: de1: interrupting at irq 11

   I am missing something obvious?

   Cheers,
   Neil.
   --
   Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
   neil@EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)

Hello...

Don't know if it would be related, but.....

Had the same problem with a DC21041 based SMC when I had forgotten to
enable bus mastering for that particular PCI slot in the BIOS.

As soon as that was right, and the proper 'ifconfig link' stuff was
right it worked like a champ. [Although it appears to auto detect
which port to use, so I don't remember why I had to fiddle with the
'link' stuff].

Different chip set then yours, however, so YMMV.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org