Subject: Re: disk partitioning
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/1996 07:57:22
If I recall correctly, the FreeBSD bootblocks will only
boot from the First BSD `slice` on the disk.  This could
be fixed...

In the presence of BIOS partitioning with disklabels,
sd0a is aliased to sd0sXa, where X is the first slice
containing a BSD disklable.  (sd0a is really sd0s0a,
which is why slices atart with number 1 instead of 0).
And yes, you do have an alias problem. :(

I think if you grep through all the system source files,
you will find that a considerable number of them know
about disklabels.  Many of them are likely to have "8"
hard-coded, instead of using the value from a header file.