Subject: Re: disk partitioning
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1996 07:55:53
bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr (Manuel BOUYER)  wrote:
 > On Dec 5, Darren Reed wrote
 > > so you have like wd0s[0-3][a-h] for the first disk...or something else
 > > because of non-primary partitions.
 > >
 > > FreeBSD can do this...:
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > Surely by now NetBSD can recognise more than one BSD partition on a disk...
 >
 > But this is i386 specific. How do you deal with that on a sparc or a
 > pmax (to cite only the archs I use/used) ?
 > I this the good way to do this is to increase the number in partitions in a
 > disklabel. Perhaps 16 isn't enougth, and we should start on a base of 32,
 > or 64 ? (and perhaps this should be moved to tech-kern ?)

Yeah. I think having multiple MSDOS partitions containing BSD partitions is
just "wrong"... "Like, get out the duct tape sally! We're gonna fix this
problem fer good now!"

The right place to fix this is architecurally... Not by slapping on another
layer of tape.

Come to think of it, what happens when you mount "/dev/wd0a" and "/dev/wd0s0a"?
What happens when you boot off "wd0s2a"? does it become "/dev/wd0a"?

yuck.