Subject: Re: disk partitioning
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1996 14:58:14
On Dec 5, Darren Reed wrote
> Hmmm, if there were partitions within partitions and you could mount from any
> partition, wouldn't that be better ?
>
> So, you have 3 DOS partitions, each being 700MB (say) on a 2.1GB disk, and
> then have within those smaller partitions, each having upto 8 partitions.
>
> so you have like wd0s[0-3][a-h] for the first disk...or something else
> because of non-primary partitions.
>
> FreeBSD can do this...:
> [...]
>
> Surely by now NetBSD can recognise more than one BSD partition on a disk...

But this is i386 specific. How do you deal with that on a sparc or a
pmax (to cite only the archs I use/used) ?
I this the good way to do this is to increase the number in partitions in a
disklabel. Perhaps 16 isn't enougth, and we should start on a base of 32,
or 64 ? (and perhaps this should be moved to tech-kern ?)

--
Manuel Bouyer, MASI, Universite Paris VI.
email: bouyer@masi.ibp.fr