Subject: Re: clock slew/adjustment
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1996 10:01:08
> Unix time seems to drift.
> I don't want NTP but a nice adjustment of some kind to let it approximate
> reality would be nice.

I'm running NetBSD 1.0 and similarly didn't want to try to integrate
the NTP stuff into the kernel.  Instead, cron runs ntpdate periodically
(ntpdate is a utility that comes with NTP, but doesn't require the
kernel support).  Ntpdate fetches the time from an NTP server.  Works OK.
I have to run it every 5 seconds to keep the time within +/- 500ms
of "real time" due to crummy PC clocks; but there's no noticable
overhead.  (If you keep the time drift within +/- 500ms then the
"real time clock" will slew rather than jumping when corrected.

--Terry