Subject: clock slew/adjustment
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1996 02:35:13
VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com> writes:

>Unix time seems to drift.
>I don't want NTP but a nice adjustment of some kind to let it approximate
>reality would be nice.
>
>options?

Well, the obvious ones are:
	a) learn to live with it
	b) run timed, and have your clock _still_  wander around some
	    average of `network mean time' (unless the timed master
	    is  running NTP)
	c) install NTP on your machine
	d)  re-invent something that approximates NTP, only not as well :) :).

Really,  David Mills did  a great job with NTP. If you care about
clock synchronisation and stability, it's _the_ option.
I'm pro-NTP and I guess it shows.

But that aside,  I think you're likely to get more focusdsed advice
if you say what your objections to NTP (or timed) are, and what kind
of clock-disciplining policy you'd like... within