Subject: Re: Crash!
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1996 14:08:44
> From: Frank van der Linden

>It depends on the crash. If it's a panic, then the machine will reboot
>itself. Unless you have the kernel debugger, DDB, compiled in, in which
>case it'll drop into that. But I assume you don't have DDB configured.
>
>If it's a hang-crash, like a deadlock, endless loop, or some weird hardware
>state, there's nothing you can do except press that reset button.

i had one of those last week.  weird, too...

new machine, just installed 1.2, would hang if i used "dd" or "x" while
editing any file from the root partition using vi if logged in on the
console.  any variations from this theme (insert/replace only, other
partition, telnet in) would avoid the problem.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet