Subject: Re: Wicked bad MSDOS problems.
To: Sean Berry <spberry@iastate.edu>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1996 19:12:39
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Sean Berry wrote:

> Over the weekend, I attempted to use BSD to copy information from a cd to my
> BSD disk, then over to an MSDOS partition.  (Installing Lose95 for work)
>
> I came to two conclusions.  Doing 'mkdir' in an msdos filesystem will crash
> the system.  (page fault something or other, easily reproduced if necessary)

	This was fixed recently in -current (I think it was going to be
	pulled into the first 1.2 patch, but I could be mistaken)

> If a partition is greater than 512M, it will not crash, but data written to
> the partition will be corrupted.  (executables won't, etc) (tested with
> 400M, 450M vs 1001M partitions)

	That surprises me - my experience has always been that partitions
	with a blocksize of over 16K (ie 512MB & up) panic NetBSD/i386.

	IIRC something needs to be fixed inside the i386 port so a
	parameter can be increated from 16K to 64K.

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.