Subject: Re: XFree86 3.1.2 and NetBSD/i386 1.2
To: James Robinson <jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@empros.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/23/1996 20:49:31
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, James Robinson wrote:

> Check out ~/.Xsession-errors (or something really close to that)
> -- sounds like your ~/.xsession or the system wide xsession
> (usually /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession) is croaking.
>
> If you've got the Xserver running, you're 99% there :-)

Hi James

Yes, I was 99% there, and now I have the problem fixed.

xdm doesn't seem to issue as many error messages as xinit, and when I
focused my attention on getting the startx script to run I noticed an error
message about not being able to find an available (pseudo) terminal. After
a quick review of my pseudo-terminal setup I executed /dev/MAKEDEV to
build the pseudo-terminal files, and presto, it works.

It's always little things like this that cause the biggest headaches!

- Brian -

| Brian Stark                            | Internet:  bstark@empros.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc.      | Voice:     +1 612 536-4697   |
| Empros Power Systems Control Division  | Fax:       +1 612 536-4919   |
| 7225 Northland Drive                   |                              |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA          |                              |