Subject: Rarp
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darrell Newcomb <drn8937@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1996 15:25:45
I'm having trouble remote booting a Sun 3/50 off of a newly installed
NetBSD 1.2 machine.  The BSD machine is an intel, thus my post here.
Please tell me if this is the incorrect place to post and the correct
place if know.

For starters the intel machine has a working NIC that we can use to ftp
and ping another machine, so thats taken care of.  The SUN has a working
ethernet port, which it does the following on startup:

rarp's it's IP
tftp's it's kernel from the machine that responded to the rarp
uses NFS for its file system.

My problem lies in configuring the intel machine to respond to the rarp
by the SUN.  Both machines are on the same subnetwork, I have added the
sun into the host file of the intel.  This gives the host name(sun1) an
IP, right?

I try to run rarpd, but can't seem to make it run.  Does anyone know if
a bootp server would work for the rarp and if so how do I configure
that.

I've very new to the OS/Networking side of BSD so I appologize for any
errors in the above and welcome any corrections and/or suggestions.

TIA, Darrell