Subject: Re: Dual ether on the same wire?
To: None <spberry@iastate.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1996 10:32:27
On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 spberry@iastate.edu wrote:

> A machine I recently acquired came with two NE2000 cards in it.  I note that
> I'm not seeing the same throughput in FTP from an i386 box to an AXP that
> I might between two AXPs.  Whether it will actually provide for higher
> throughput, is it possible to use multiple ethernet interfaces on the same
> wire?

It is, but using this to get better throughput would be quite
tricky, and you've not even done an analysis to see where the
problem is.

Even cheap NE2000 clone cards should do over 600 K/sec on the
Ethernet. I'd grab a copy of netperf (do a web search to find it)
and do some analyses before attempting to find a solution. The
problem is as likely in your application as anywhere else.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.