Subject: Re: panic during boot after upgrading from 32 to 64 MB
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1996 16:33:21
> >[other bootmessages]
> >starting rpc daemons: portmap mountd nfsdpanic: ptdi 20f063
>
> This is the by-now-infamous NKPDE problem.  Try adding the line below
> to your kernel config:

Since it's not #ifdef'd in i386/include/pmap.h, that won't work.
pmap.h will have to be edited by hand.

Last friday i sent patches to the i386 port maintainers to fix this
problem in a way that's not perfect, but much, much better than what
we have now.  (I was bored, i wrote the code on the laptop i took with
me to OSDI... 8-)

Anyway, hopefully it'll show up in -current soon.  I think it'd
probably also be a good thing to back-port to 1.2, ship as a patch,
and rebuild the distribution floppies with...

cgd