Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of ISA with other scsi cards?
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1996 23:08:36
>>> problem, but some cards and/or motherboard chipsets, do.  Once such
>>> example is the bt445S.

>>Data point:  I have a BT-445S in my VLB system (Micronics JX-30GC) that
>>has never once complained about my having 24MB of RAM.

>The problem with the 445S is not easily repeatable.  According to Peter Wemm,
>the card will occassionally corrupt data that goes above 16meg.  He probably
>knows more details than I about this though (peter@FreeBSD.org).

Doesn't this have more to do with the motherboard, than with the SCSI
card (and the VLB spec, which has so much slop in it, to make some VLB
boards almost useless for this task)?

I know Jordan had a horrible time getting a BT445 to work with one of
his systems a couple years ago, even as other people were running with
no problems, even on some of the BT445s that were supposed to be
"broken".

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net