Subject: Re: Post.Office + NetBSD
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/1996 12:54:15
Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> There are probably several solutions to this problem.  One, which was
> taken by BSDI for their SCO emulation, is to write and build libraries
> which look and act sufficiently like the target OSes' libraries that
> emulated binaries can't tell the difference.  For commercial systems
> which are claiming binary emulation capabilities, this is necessary;
> they can't limit their capabilities' usefulness to the set of binaries
> and people mentioned above.

I agree this would be a nice and _useful_ thing, but currently this is
not done.  If someone wanted to take up the task of getting a group
together and write such a beast I'm certain no one would complain...

> I think it's inappropriate that NetBSD trumpets its commercial-system
> binary emulation capabilities so loudly when it falls so far short of
> actually providing useful and complete emulation for those systems.

I don't.  We _do_ emulate SCO, BSDI, etc.  I use BSDI's netscape version
all the time.  It works perfectly (well, as perfectly as Netscrape can...)
so I claim the binary compatibility is working.

--Michael