Subject: Re: Booting in single-user mode
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1996 19:45:27
On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Grey Wolf wrote:

> If you want to be consistent, the other ports should switch to '-a' for
> "ask".  I've seen '-i' come to mean "use the following program as the
> path to init", and I've even had to use it on occasion.  It's saved
> my butt, lemme tell ya.
>
> Who uses '-a' to boot multi-user, now?  I think I missed this thread,
> unless I'm receiving mail out of order again...don't answer this, I'll
> ask again if I'm truly lost.

I thought I'd added that to the message; it's the DEC Alpha port.
Digital Unix uses 'a' to go multiuser (otherwise it goes single-user
by default), and it just makes life a bit easier for those who have
both Digital Unix and NetBSD on a machine not to have to reset that
environment variable when switching from one to the other.

I personally would rather see consistent kernel options across all
ports, for those of us that are running NetBSD on multiple
architectures (four in my case).

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.