Subject: Linux emulation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1996 12:47:53
Howdy!

I've finally got my 486 up & running w/ 1.2, and am working on customizing
it.

I'd like to run matlab. It's distributed for Linux. I've tried setting up
the emulation, but I've not done enough. So some tips would be
appreciated.

Actually, if there's a how-to somewhere, that'd help a lot!

I remember seeing some commits about improving emulation in -current. Is
it sufficiently better that I should just upgrade to current before going
farther?

I make /emul/linux, and populated bin with ls and uname, /lib with libs
from a Linux 2.XX machine in lab, usr/lib likewise, and tried to install
matlab. I got the distribution from the same Linux box I got the libs.

At first, it had a hard time as uname said it was running under NetBSD
(which isn't supported). After hacking the architecture sense in the
script to Linux, I got a core dump for "invalid system call" in one of the
setup routines.

I'd like to know what to do next. I tried sicking gdb on the program (to
see the offending core dump, but it had no clue what was going on. I bet
the program's an elf executable, and I was running the NetBSD gdb.

Suggestions?

Also, someone has ported afs to NetBSD, no? Where can I get it?

Thanks a lot!

Bill