Subject: Re: Installation from PC Partition
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/1996 12:57:54
>Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 20:59:28 -0800
>From: Jim Howard <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>
>
>At 05:08 PM 10/21/96 -0400, perry@piermont.com wrote:
>> 2) you have to properly point a NetBSD partition table entry at the
>>    DOS partition. I don't quite understand how to do this myself;
>>    perhaps someone here will volunteer the data.
>
>I believe this depends on where your DOS partition is relative to your
>NetBSD partition.  I only know the case where both are on the same drive,
>and that's what I describe here....

There are two alternatives.  Either (1) your DOS partition is on the
same spindle as your NetBSD partition, or (2) they are on different
spindles:

1) DOS and NetBSD are on the same spindle:  The *BSD FAQ describes how
   to add your DOS partition to your disklabel, which is basically the
   same as the method Jim described.  The FAQ is regularly posted to
   comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce.
2) DOS and NETBSD are on different spindles:  NetBSD 1.2 generates a
   fake disklabel based on the partition table for the DOS-only
   spindle, so you don't need to do anything special.

>This catch-22 arises because you must edit your NetBSD disklabel to
>reference the DOS partition, and the edit uses vi, which is in the base
>binary set but not on the install floppies.  (Anyway, that's how it was when
>I did this.)

This is not strictly true.  You can also learn how to use /bin/ed.
I recommend printing a copy of the ed(1) man page first. :-)  "The
UNIX Programming Environment", by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
(ISBN 0-13-937681-X), also has a short tutorial on ed.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>