Subject: Re: /dev/wd
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel J. O'Connor <doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1996 14:37:19
> I was thinking about this afterwards and thought it might be the
> file system's job of marking bad sectors, not the device driver.
> I tried /sbin/badsect and can't seem to get it to start up, it keeps
> saying the device is busy (it's the /usr partition which is bad).
> I've killed everything in sight but still can't get it to budge.
> I guess I'm going to have to reformat... but when it comes down to
> it seems newfs doesn't mark bad sectors on-the-fly, only at format
> time. Sounds like a bad assumption to me...
Well, the device is busy because its mounted. You should boot up into single
user mode(-s when it asks for the kernel name) and then try and run badsect
on it. It way work, I can't say I;ve tried it but its worth a go :) Maybe
someone wants to write a program to find bad sectors on drives and hides em
(would be nice an useful, or if fsck did it)

Seeya
Darius
~~~~~~
Finger doconnor@nova.cs.flinders.edu.au for PGP info.