Subject: Re: compiling the 1.2 kernel
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1996 20:27:18
}Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> writes:
}> > Regardless as to whether I am seeing things or not, it *might*
}> > help to have some "effects" available also.
}> In the past, 'effects' have been documented to current-users.
}> If you are following -current you should be reading that list and
}> those list archives.  If you are not reading that list or those
}> archives, you should not be following -current.

}current-users *hardly* qualifies as the kind of organized, topical
}install notes the original poster had suggested. Even if you *read*
}it, you're likely to lose the kind of practical information in
}question amidst the religious jihad. The suggestion was a good one --
}it is not realistic to expect someone who does a make build every
}couple of months to wade each time through several hundred ideological
}rants about namespace conservation or bounce buffers or function
}prototypes. That the information he is talking about lies somewhere in
}the union of the CHANGES file and the current-users archives is true,
}but that doesn't mean it's easy to extract.

I follow current-users, but I know a couple people who run -current
who won't subscribe, because it's just too much mail.  They wish there
was something like current-announce, which just announced things like
the changes requiring EXEC_SCRIPT and EXEC_AOUT, and other gotchas
like that.

Would something like current-announce be possible as an official list,
with all discussion to current-users?

Tracy J. Di Marco White           gendalia@iastate.edu