Subject: Re: compiling the 1.2 kernel
To: None <perry@piermont.com, rniles@imtired.selah.net>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1996 14:28:47
Perry E. Metzger writes:
 > Robert Niles writes:
 > > config GENERIC
 > >
 > > I told me there were syntax errors in files.
 > >
 > > I'm trying to compile this using the config program compiled under
 > > NetBSd 1.1 - does this make a diff??
 >
 > Yes, and its not the only thing that does.
 >
 > You cannot -- CANNOT -- build a 1.2 system using a 1.1
 > userland. You have to upgrade.

If you really want to compile your way up to 1.2 it's not
impossible, but you must do userland too.  I just did that
on a Sparc system running stock 1.1; there were some rough
spots in there but nothing really serious.

(To others trying this: Do tsort, make and .mk files, and the
the gnu stuff early, leave a copy of a known-working ld.so and
libc.so around, and do "ldconfig" after you install the new
libc.so. Then use make -k a couple of times, make -k install
and another round of make -k ; make -k install.  I *think*
that was about all the snags, but you should mostly be able
to fix them as you see'em...)

  -  Arne H. J.
("Never trust an operating system you haven't built from sources" :-)