Subject: Re: compiling the 1.2 kernel
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1996 02:16:28
Curt Sampson wrote:

> Hmm. Isn't the CHANGES file pretty close to this?

Yup, it is, but it doesn't necessarily explain the ramifications of
the change.  And I don't see the config changes there?  The idea
was that the effect of the change might be listed, so there would
be less confusion.  I'll list an example that I stumbled on,
 which is my fault, no fault of the person committing the code.. :)

[change]
Changed the reboot(2) system call to take (int bootopt, char *
      bootstr) to allow smarter firmwire the ability to reboot
      with a string.  [mrg 960809]

[effect]
Old reboot(8) binaries will not be able to reboot a new kernel, they
will core dump (leaving a zero length corefile), and will hang your
system.  Make sure you update reboot(8) before attempting to reboot
a -current kernel, as the filesystems will *not* be synced, and the
only recovery is turning off the machine.  This affects at least
i386 and sparc.  So, don't reboot(8) a remote machine and expect
it to come back! 1/2 :)
[or is this new reboot(8) with old kernel??  I already forgot]

Looking at /usr/src/Makefile, I don't understand how I could have
had 'make build' fail because of the ${INSTALL} changes, as it
installs share/mk for me.  Yet.. it did, I am *not* crazy.. :)

Regardless as to whether I am seeing things or not, it *might*
help to have some "effects" available also.

-Andrew