Subject: Re: /dev/wd
To: Olaf Schroeder <olaf@digirule.com>
From: John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1996 17:00:31
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Olaf Schroeder wrote:

> It appears that I have an IDE drive on my Intel machine with some bad sectors
> on it. Is wd smart enough to disable (new) bad sectors it comes across?
> At the moment I can't write any new files to this one partition unless I
> delete some other files first. I fear that I have to re-format the drive...

It's not whether wd is smart or not--newfs supports the bad144 standard
of self-mapping bad sectors at format. The best way to handle this is
to format the drive. As that seems a out of the question:) you should
probably try to find the bad sectors and use /sbin/badsect to mark them.
That is not as satisfactory, though, because bad sectors are stored
in a file. But it should work. I'm not sure at the moment how to find
exactly which sectors are bad.
	-jd

jddst19+@pitt.edu   John Duncan
		    Freshman, University of Pittsburgh

"I'm not a doctor, but I ate one at the UPMC..."