Subject: Serial Port Write Errors in 1.2
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: None <rmcm@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1996 16:43:50
Curt

I am having a similar problem - while trying to attach a terminal to
the serial port on a 486. The 1.2 getty seems to wedge on the
port. This port was working without problem on 1.1 with this terminal,
and was OK with 1.2 until I cycled the power.

No problems with modems though (using Gert Doering's mgetty); in fact
a method I found to get the port working involved connecting a modem,
using tip to talk to the modem, and then swapping the cable to the
terminal (Wyse-60). The terminal was then OK until the next power
cycle. The /etc/remote entry I used was

        # Hardwired line
  tty00| Direct line on tty00:\
          :dv=/dev/tty00:\
          :du=0:\
          :br#38400:\
          :pa=none:

I then retried all of this on a Pentium and a different terminal
(still a Wyse60 though) and got similar results.

Summary-

        1.1 + *                         = OK
        1.2 + mgetty + modem(s)         = OK
        1.2 + getty + terminal(s)       = port locks
        1.2 + tip + modem/terminal      = OK

All ports recognized on boot and from DOS.

Cheers,

Rex

Rex McMaster                       rmcm@ariel.unimelb.edu.au