Subject: Re: 1.2 i386 bootstrap 'read error' problem (Help).
To: None <swt@ono.aca.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/1996 20:09:24
>From: swt@ono.aca.com
>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:09:37 -0500 (CDT)

>Hi - I've just installed the binary distribution of i386 NetBSD 1.2 on a P5,
>EIDE, 16M machine.  (This machine is going to be a 100% NetBSD; I won't be
>sharing it with DOS/Win.)  Booting off the boot floppies I made the file
>systems, installed the kernal, and so on just fine.  The problem is when
>attempting to boot off the hard drive.  Instead of booting I get a "Read
>Error.", so it appears to be a problem with the bootstraping.

>	a) Anyone have any other things I can try that might get netbsd
>	   to boot off of my hard drive?

Is the drive set up correctly in your machine's BIOS?  The i386 boot
loader uses BIOS disk I/O routines to load the kernel into memory; if
the BIOS can't figure out how to talk to the disk, you're hosed.

>	b) Is the i386 netbsd a two stage boot?  That is does it require
>	   a primary and secondary bootstrap, so the disklabel command
>	   to write the bootstrap would be 'disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/wdboot
>	   -s /usr/mdec/bootwd wd0'?

Yes.  Usually you don't need the -b and -s arguments if you've set up
your drive in /etc/disktab properly.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>