Subject: Re: 1.2 on laptops
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/1996 10:08:40
> With the version of John Kohl's apm+pcmcia stuff I'm currently using,
> I have a manual "disconnect" script which I run before disconnecting
> from the network.

You can also have the apmd run this for you before entering suspend or
standby mode.  Just put your script in /etc/apmd/suspend or
/etc/apmd/standby and the daemon will run it before entering that mode.  I
have a similar disconnect script to the one you have and I just hit the
suspend key (bound through my window manager to apm -z) and the laptop
kills the network and suspends cleanly.

This is also nice if you're running the ethernet when not plugged in to AC.
If the battery gets too low and the laptop must shut off, or if it's just
inactive for long enough to suspend, then the right things will happen to
the network.

Dave