Subject: Re: 1.2 on laptops
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/1996 02:19:54
Darren Reed writes:
> If I want to put NetBSD 1.2 on a laptop, what laptop models are
> supported ?

None in particular. NetBSD should "just work" on most i386 laptops
that are isa or PCI based. Some wacko early IBM Thinkpads used MCA and
will not work -- otherwise you're fine.

> Which pcmcia ethernet & modem cards are supported ?

See the unofficial pcmcia stuff for details, but my understanding is that
any "normal" modem card should work. Combo cards probably wont. For
ethernet, I personally prefer the 3c589 stuff and clones -- see the
docs for a listing of what works.

> Any "gotchas" I should be aware of ?

Lots of the stuff is still a bit iffy. I can't get the power to turn
off to my ethernet card during sleeps on my machine, for example,
which causes a slow but unpleasant battery drain.

Overall, I would say that

1) You will almost inevitably hit an unpleasant problem or two when
   setting up.
2) Someone here will almost inevitably be able to help you with a
   patch or two to fix the problem.

Perry