Subject: Re: Linux ELF --> NetBSD a.out?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <rvb@IGW.TRUST.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/1996 10:58:53
I also have been working on getting my favorite program from Linux
running on NetBSD.  First, you should know that NetBSD directly
supports linux emulation and linux a.out and elf formats.  So in
principle it is a simple matter of just grabbing the linux app and
just running it.

But, you will have to get and install the Linux shared libraries.
This is explained in "man compat_linux".  (You will also probably have
to generate a kernel without compat_svr4.)  "man compat_linux" misses
two items:
	1. Newer linux'es use /etc/nsswitch.conf for yp info.  You
	   must copy this file to your /emu/linux/etc to get dns
	   searches to work.
	2. If you are using NetBSD 1.2 with "domestic" encription, the
	   /etc/passwd file is not maintained.  Some linux programs
	   (e.g. emacs, xterm) will look for your personal entry in
	   /etc/termcap and freek if it can not be found.  So you must
	   manually insert your name in /etc/passwd.
With these two change and linux libraries from redhat, I can run
Netscape (3.0b6-gold), xterm, emacs, and ping elf linux binaries.
(Of course, the program I care about, doesn't completely work yet.)