Subject: Re: PCMCIA modems and ppp difficulties
To: None <mhacker@rio.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1996 10:31:34
>From: Matthew Hacker <mhacker@rio.com>
>Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 15:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

>On the same note, how can I get chat to report anything useful to
>me?  If I call it from pppd on the command line I don't get back
>anything chat puts on the standard out.  I've tried the report
>key word and all I get is 'Chat closing report file.' in the file
>it creates.  I'd like to figure out what error it's getting when
>it fails.  (My modem occasionally has trouble connecting on noisy
>lines.)

I've had better luck using chat's -v flag.  If chat is given the -v
flag, it copies its modem I/O to syslog(3) using facility LOG_LOCAL2
and priority LOG_DEBUG (UTSL to double-check; it's been a while since
I last looked at this).  Update syslog.conf, SIGHUP the syslog
process, and you're good to go.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>