Subject: Re: 3c900 PCI ethernet card
To: None <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/1996 18:29:29
On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Zdenek Salvet wrote:

> I have had success with 3c590 driver under light load,
> but "ping -f -s 1400 ..." freezes the interface very quickly.

I've just put a 3c905 in my system, and I have the same problem.
It freezes after about a hundred packets of `ping -f -s 1400' to
it from another machine. When I try to ping out from the machine,
I get:

    ping: sendto: no buffer space available

A netstat -m shows that I've got a hundred or so buffers in use,
and 0 requests for memory denied or delayed, 0 calls to the protocol
drain routines.  If I ifconfig the interface down and then up again,
the memory is freed and the card works normally again.

What is likely to be causing this sort of behaviour? What sort of
debugging do I want to turn on to see where it's breaking? I have
my copy of TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 2 handy. :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.