Subject: Re: 'ncr' driver with HP drives?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/1996 07:40:56
On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> Has anybody sucessfully used the 'ncr' driver (on the i386 8-) with
> (recent) HP drives?
>
> On the Alpha, i've tried it with a few HP C3325A's and it reports SCSI
> errors whenever the disks are accessed.  I've heard others report
> problems with 'ncr' on the Alpha as well.
>
> I was wondering if this was a problem only on the alpha, or if people
> using 'ncr' on the i386 had noticed it as well.

My HP Surestore drives (on my i386) don't support tagged command
queueing. However, they claim they support it. :-)

Try a new kernel with `options SCSI_NCR_MAX_TAGS=0' in the config file.
If it works, that's the problem.

This will turn off tagged command queues for all drives. If there's
a way to set up a hint so that just a particular model of drive
will not use tagged command queuing, while others in the system
still do, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.