Subject: Re: AMD 586 dx4 133 support
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1996 20:37:44
> I'm not positive, but the Intel DX4 might have come at the start with
> a 16KB cache.  If it did, it was write-through originally, and only
> became write-back on the newer "write-back enhanced" 486DX4s.

So what is the deal with the write-back and busmaster controllers?
Could that have been why our intel DX4 100 was dumping core and panicin'
(Adaptec 1742 EISA), what would have worked, write-through?
At least when it panicked it would write out the memory image and .core
file @48 megs (ouch).

We put the intel DX2 66 back in and problem went away. Sure miss the
speed the DX4 100 had.

Thanks!

Jeff Northon