Subject: Re: AMD 586 dx4 133 support
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1996 19:05:03
>Michael L. VanLoon writes:
>>The reason they consider it "more than" a 486 is because all "real"
>>486s have 8KB write-through cache.

>The have?  Last I looked the Intel DX4s had 16KB cache while the AMD
>DX4s had only 8KB.

I'm pretty sure both brands of DX4s have 16KB write-back caches now.
However, the more "traditional" 486s (SX, DX, DX2) all had 8KB
write-through cache.

I'm not positive, but the Intel DX4 might have come at the start with
a 16KB cache.  If it did, it was write-through originally, and only
became write-back on the newer "write-back enhanced" 486DX4s.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net