Subject: Re: AMD 586 dx4 133 support
To: -Vasily Lewis <vlewis@iastate.edu>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/1996 17:39:09
>> On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:33:59 -0500
>>  "Phil Knaack" <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  > 	I am about to purchase an AMD 5x86 dx4 133 chip on a pretty generic
>>  > motherboard.
>>  >
>>  > 	Will NetBSD work on it, and if so, will it use the chip-specific
>>  > enchancements? I don't know what they are, but I assume there are some.
>>
>> A friend runs NetBSD on an AMD 5x86 ... it's important to note that it
>> seems to behave like a 486, just much faster.  (i.e. it appears as a
>> 486-class CPU).
>>
>> I'm not really certain what, if any, chip specific enhancements there are.
>
>  That would be me that flipk is buying the board/chip from.  I think it
>might be important to note that for all discernable purposes the chip is
>nothing more than a 133mhz 486.  The whole naming scheme for the chip
>(which is officially Am5x86(tm)-P75) seems to be just a marketing scheme
>for AMD.  All the digs on the chip can be seen here if you're curious:
>http://www.amd.com/html/products/prodads/am5x86ad.html

There was an anomaly in -current for the space of about four days, during
which mine would not completely boot, but I think that may also have had to
do with having WB cache and a busmastering controller running
simulataneously.

I've got three of these on SIS? motherboards with PCI and VLB, and they
fairly rock.  They all overclocked to 160 quite nicely with decent
heatsinks, and zip right along.

I had heard about performance enhancements ala the Cyrix register settings,
but I seem to be unable to track them down.  The CPU as I bought it
'cheap!', came with neither disk nor documentation.

However, as indicated above, it seems to scream as a fast 486.
--
Sean Berry is a computer scientist trapped in an engineer's mind.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my