Subject: Re: new 1.2BETA /i386 install floppies and kernels
To: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/1996 17:09:51
On Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:34:05 -0400
 jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

 > It found the hard drive and cd fine; the jaz drive is there but
 > not readable yet -- I'll dig some more on that.

the jaz drive will/should work ... they don't support the MODE SENSE scsi
command, hence the illegal request... This warning has been fixed in the
post-1.2 sources, and will probably make its way into 1.2 Official Patch 1.

 > > XFree86 Version 3.1.2F / X Window System
 > > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6100)
 > > Release Date: Aug 27 1996
 > > checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
 > > 	trying aperture driver
 > > checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/xf86 (No such file or directory)
 > > 	linear fb access unavailable
 > > Fatal server error:
 > > xf86MapVidMem: Address 0x3c00000 outside allowable range
 > > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
 > And of course, something is different about X?

You may want to build a kernel with "options INSECURE" to allow the X
server to get at the framebuffer ... Or, you can load the XFree86
Aperture Driver as an LKM ...

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --