Subject: UPS auto-shutdown in NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan J. Fraser <dfraser@mother.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/1996 19:59:48
I recently purchased an APC Back-UPS 400 for my NetBSD system.  I am
wondering if any automated shutdown software aready exists for NetBSD.

If none does exist, I plan on writing a very simple daemon based on
shutdown which will watch a tty for indications of the power fail, send
walls to the users on a system informing them of the power fail and the
impending shutdown...  And then calling a modified version of 'halt' which
will halt the system and tell the UPS to shut off power.

Would you NetBSD experts agree that this is a reasonable method to handle
the UPS shutdown interface?

--
Dan J. Fraser -- dfraser@mother.com
http://www.mother.com/~dfraser