Subject: Re: 1.2_BETA problems / booting on IDE
To: None <matt@lkg.dec.com>
From: Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/29/1996 10:20:43
Yeah, I've seen this before.  Took me ages to figure it out too :-)

Okay, the problem is that the BIOS has a problem with using any
geometry other than the "DOS translated LBA geometry".  This
means that the only generic way I know of getting around the
problem is to

	Format disc under DOS
	use PFDISK.EXE to enquire what geometry actually got used
	install *bsd using the geometry reported by pfdisk, NOT
	  the geometry reported by the device probe.

You can skip the format/pfdisk *if* the BIOS tells you what the LBA
geometry is -- the Intel Endeavour AMI BIOSes which cause
the error I've seen don't.