Subject: Re: comments on i386 -1.2BETA snapshot
To: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1996 01:10:37
> Most of the people who could have constructive comments don't care if
> they can't play with the source.  And that's NetBSD's form these days
> (ie. access to the development sources is unavailable) so I'm not
> surprised it met with silence.

Whoa, you may be judging Jason too harshly - I seem to remember diffs
attached.

> That's a neat idea.  Extract the config information from the kernel
> and use it to generate a config file.  I think that will be rather
> hard in a system using Chris Torek's config system, easier perhaps
> for your new system.

Well, I'm also writing a general API for getting/setting ISA device
state so that it can, among other things, be passed along from the
initial boot floppy kernel to the one the user will boot off the hard
disk (the boot floppy kernel is not the one we eventually install -
that comes from the bin distribution).

> I actually sup the FreeBSD cvs tree, and look at the sup logs to see
> which files changed. Then I "cvs log" those files to see the actual

cvsup!  cvsup! :-) If you're going to grab the CVS bits, CVSup is
definitely the way to go.  It's far more efficient than sup.
/usr/ports/net/cvsup or precompiled binaries from
ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/

> differences.  I'm very glad FreeBSD has chosen to also make their CVS
> tree available; it's been incredibly useful to myself, and the other
> people in the OpenBSD project.  We've taken lots of things from
> FreeBSD -- thanks for making this cross pollination possible.

Well, credit where it's due, I guess.  It was at your instigation that
we opened such access up! :-)

> No, not particularily.  NetBSD politics are becoming more irrelevant,
> and a large part of this is because they are ignoring OpenBSD.  I hope
> they continue to ignore OpenBSD changes too, like they are now.

I don't.  Whether the developers of the various *BSD groups can get
along or not, I don't think that the *users* deserve to suffer for
their failings.  If we don't all get along then that's just too bad,
but personal animosity shouldn't have anything to do with judging code
quality or taking advantage of every single resource available,
that's simply unprofessional.

					Jordan