Subject: Re: comments on i386 -1.2BETA snapshot
To: None <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/27/1996 10:10:37
Luke Mewburn writes:
>   can we *please* either drop mcd0 in the GENERIC kernel, since
>   SMC ethernet cards are more common than Mitsumi CD drives, or
>   set ed0 to 280/3/d000 so we don't have to find PC boot disks with
>   EZSTART to soft configure SMC 8013/8216's to get the kernel to find it?

There is no reason to put the mcd0 stuff in the kernel in the
snapshot.

1) The probe damages several kinds of devices.
2) If you are bringing the system up on floppies, you don't need the
   device -- you can build the device in to your kernel later. If you
   are bringing it up on a CD, the CD manufacturer can include a
   driver in their kernel.
3) If I had a dollar for every hour I lost because of that goddamned
   driver being in the boot kernels...

Perry