Subject: Re: Help! -current pas probe (?) dies with "double fault trap"
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/23/1996 14:43:40
> >Using -current sources from two nights ago, I built a kernel and tried
> >to boot it. It gets to the point where my 1.1 kernel probes and
> >recognizes my ProAudio Spectrum sound card, and dies with a message
> >something like
> >kernel: double fault trap
> >Stop at
> >It hangs before printing whatever (address?) it's trying to give me in
> >the "Stop at" message.

> First of all, can you boot a kernel without the PAS driver
> configured?

Haven't had time to try that yet. I'll try it tonight, hopefully, if I
get time.

> How do you know that the kernel has recognized your PAS?

I suspect that it hasn't recognized it. It has only reached the point
in the messages where my working (1.1) kernel would recognize the pas.

> If it's
> because it died after printing something like:
> pas0 at isa0 port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1: ...
> then the problem probably lies with whatever device is probed after
> the PAS.  We'd have to see ioconf.c to find out which driver is
> guilty.

Of course. It never prints any message indicating that the pas has
been probed (successfully or unsuccessfully). It never prints anything
about the pas. It just dies after probing and recognizing wd0 (or is
it wdc0?) (at which point my working kernel goes on to recognize
pas0).

Thanks for the message!

	-- Robert